These photos were taken about 48 hours apart. No photo editing was done other than the arrows to point out where to look in the pictures. Yes these are photos of me (ugh!) before learning to do hypopressives and then about 48 hours after. No it’s not your imagination. My belly is definitely flatter with skin “lift” and my posture is improved. With hypopressives, in a very short period of time my clients report improved core tone, a flatter belly, improved posture and even decreased lower back pain (5). Globally, women in Spain and Brazil (in particular) have taken to hypopressives/ Low Pressure Fitness for core toning and aesthetic results. I have a Spanish client right now who tells me it’s as popular in Spain as yoga or spin in the US.
The Take Home
I do hypopressives. I feel better and I look better. I’m getting really positive feedback from my patients. We have some very promising studies and a growing body of research that increases almost monthly supporting its use for improving prolapse, incontinence, lower back pain, and improving respiratory parameters. Hypopressives are the latest and could be the greatest. Time will tell. By the way I did reach out to America’s most famous hypopressive practitioner, Arnold Schwarzenegger, to get some feedback on how 50+ years of performing hypopressive exercises is working out for him. I still haven’t heard back. Mr. Schwarzenegger, the women of the US would love to hear your experience……..
1) Omkar, S. (2012). Uddiyana Bandha- a Yoga Approach to Core Stability. Sense, 2(2), 112-117.
2) Voroshilov, A., et al (2017). Modified Quigong Breathing Exercise For Reducing the Sense of Hunger on an Empty Stomach. Journal of Evidence-Based Complimentary & Alternative Medicine, doi.org/101177/2156587217707143
3) Rial, T., Pinsach, P. (2016). Low Pressure Fitness Practical Manual Level 1(1st Ed). Vigo, Spain. International Hypopressive & Physical Therapy Institute.
4) Caufriez, M., Fernandez, JC., & Heimann, A. (2007). Comparison Between Abdominal Pressure Variations in Acoustic and Aerial Environment During Four Hypopressive Gymnastic Exercises. Rev Iberoam Fisioter Kinesol, 10(1), 12-23.
5) Bellido-Fernandez, L., et al. (2018). Effectiveness of Massage Therapy and Adominal Hypopressive Gymnastics in Nonspecific Chronic Low Back Pain: A Randomized Controlled Pilot Study. Journal of Evidence-Based Complimentary & Alternative Medicine, doi.org/10.1155/2018/3684194
Ithamar et al. (2017). Abdominal and Pelvic Floor Electromyographic Analysis During Abdominal Hypopressive Gymnastics. Journal of Bodywork & Movement Therapies. doi.10.1016/j.jbmt.2017.06.011.
Latorre, G., Seleme, M., Resende, A.P., Stupp, L., y Berghmens, B. (2011). Hypopressive gymnastics: evidence for an alternative traning for women with local proprioceptive deficit of the pelvic floor muscles. Fisioterapia Brasil, 12(6), 436-466.
Navarro et al., (2017). Muscle Response During a Hypopressive Exercise After Pelvic Floor Physiotherapy: Assessment With Transabdominal Ultrasound. Fisioterapia 39(5): 187-194.
Paterna, C. & Rial, T. (2016). Puede ser el entrenamiento hipopresivo una alternativa de
ejercicio para le reeducacion abdomino-pelvica? Il Congreso Fisioterapia del Movimiento.